Review & Excerpt : The Darkest Craving (Lords of The Underworld, #10) By Gena Showalter

Posted on Friday, August 2, 2013 11:53 AM
0
The Darkest Craving (Lords of the Underworld #10)

By Gena Showalter

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Fav Quote:

“No. I never asked for your help. Never wanted it.”

“You did, too! Your eyes begged me, and you can’t deny it. You couldn’t see your eyes, so you have no idea what they were doing.”

“I think that’s the most illogical argument I’ve ever heard.”


Where to begin?

I'll start by saying that this book was way too different from the other books in the series...

Kane and Josephina's (known as Tink as well) story takes place in a whole new paranormal world, the Fae world. Specifically, the story is set in Séduire, a complete change of scenery...

There the Lords of the Underworld are like celebrities and even have their own fan clubs (Josephina belongs to both Torin and Paris's fan club. Poor Kane!) !

After spending some time in hell, the only thing Kane wants is to be left alone. That is until a mysterious girl saves him and demands a "little" favor in return.

Kane was not what I expected him to be.Yes, he was a warrior at heart, fierce and protective BUT in contrast with the other Lords he hated his demon. I mean he really LOATHED disaster. Well, I know that the other Lords didn't actually like their demons but they still utilized their demons' abilities and one could say that they were quite in some kind of agreement with them! But Kane no! None of these things qualify for him. He loathes his demon, he considers him an enemy!

As long as Josephina/Tink is concerned, I'll have to say that my opinon is ambiguous. In the beginning, we see her as a strong, confident woman but as the book progresses we see another different side of her, one that I'll have to say that I didn't actually like (to say the least). It's not often that we see weak heroines in the LOTU series. I mean even Ashlyn (Maddox's mate) was more "powerful" than Josephina and she wasn't even immortal (that says much!)

However, Josephina had a very hard life and I think that explains her behavior.Despite being a princess, she was treated like a servant. Her own family hated her and mistreated her (actually that's an understatement, used her is the appropriate word).

What I loved:

That's easy! I loved the "secondary" characters-stories. That would be Torin & Mari (Yeah, we've got not only Torin's partner!? but a new character as well~an intriguing one) and Cameo & Lazarus (do you remember him???No, well he's the male Strider killed in The Darkest Surrender , wondering how he's alive and paired up with Cameo???Well that one is easy as well,read the book to find out).

Another thing I loved was the number of appearences William and his children (the Horsemen of the Apocalypse) made...

What I didn't like:

Apart from Torin, Cameo, William and sometimes Lucien, the other Lords weren't "portrayed" much (almost never)!!!Why's that I don't know!!!I liked seeing the other Lords in the previous books, learning how they were doing...

The end was also kind of a little dramatic (yeah that's the word).I couldn't believe it no matter how much I wanted a HEA.

And last but not least, I couldn't "connect" with the main characters!I think that was the worst part...

All in all, the book was good.I definitely recommend it, to the LOTU fans out there (actually this book is a MUST-read for those who are planning on reading the next book).
                                
                                            Synopsis

Having endured weeks of torture in the bowels of hell, Kane wants nothing to do with his beautiful rescuer, Josephina Aisling. The half-Fae female threatens to awaken the demon of Disaster inside him—a beast he’s determined to kill, no matter the price.

Josephina is hunted by a brutal enemy—her royal family—and Kane is her only source of protection. He’s also the only male to ever set her aflame, and even he succumbs to the heat. But as they navigate the treacherous world of the Fae, they are forced to make a choice: live apart…or die together.


                 An excerpt from THE DARKEST CRAVING!

Posted by Gena Showalter on July 15, 2013 at 10:30am

His skin prickled, and maybe he moved. Maybe he spoke. Her gaze lifted to meet his. Her lips parted on a startled exhalation. Could she see the rawness of his need?

“Kane.” A breathy entreaty.

In that moment, the cry of the demon ceased to matter. The past faded, leaving only the present…the future, and the unstoppable tide of the pleasure to come. Every bone vibrated. He needed to get inside her. Here. Now.

It would be agony.

It would be ecstasy.

Tension coiled low in his gut, only to spring apart and jolt him into a stand. “Leave us,” he said, his voice a broken rasp.

No questions. No protests. The two seamstresses flittered from the room, shutting the door behind them.

The teapot shattered on the tray, dark liquid spilling everywhere, glass flying. Disaster’s newest attempt to deter him.

Tinker Bell didn’t seem to notice, was too busy watching him. “I-is something wrong?”

Silent, he stalked toward her. A predator with a purpose. He was done resisting. Done thinking about all the reasons why not. Today, he was taking something.

Perhaps sensing the dark, greedy urges driving him, she straightened with a snap. Her breathing quickened. “Kane,” she said.

“Tell me to stop.” He stood a mere heartbeat away, their gazes locked together, trapped. Nothing else would halt the madness.

“I…I can’t.”
Sofia T.
Blog Widget by LinkWithin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2012 SheReadsRomance
Template by Hopeless Romantics
Subtle Patterns (Subtle Patterns) / CC BY-SA 3.0