Review: Ugly Love by Colleen Hoover

Posted on Monday, October 5, 2015 1:58 PM
1
Title: Ugly Love
Author: Colleen Hoover
Series: None

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Goodreads | Amazon | B&N | BookDepo
When Tate Collins meets airline pilot Miles Archer, she knows it isn’t love at first sight. They wouldn’t even go so far as to consider themselves friends. The only thing Tate and Miles have in common is an undeniable mutual attraction. Once their desires are out in the open, they realize they have the perfect set-up. He doesn’t want love, she doesn’t have time for love, so that just leaves the sex. Their arrangement could be surprisingly seamless, as long as Tate can stick to the only two rules Miles has for her.
Never ask about the past.
Don’t expect a future.
They think they can handle it, but realize almost immediately they can’t handle it at all.
Hearts get infiltrated.
Promises get broken.
Rules get shattered.
Love gets ugly.
For those who don’t know, Colleen Hoover is a new author to me. Her books have been in my tbr list since Hopeless first came out but it wasn't until July that I decided to read my first CoHo book, Hopeless. I was hooked and ended up reading all of her books.

I knew I had to read Ugly love before the movie came out but yet I read it after the Hopeless and the Slammed series. I was a bit hesitant to read it because I had skimmed through some reviews on Goodreads and I kind of knew what to expect but I was wrong!

When Tate Collins moves into her brother’s apartment she never expects to have such trouble getting in. yes she can open a door but she can’t do so when there’s a drunk guy against the door. Since this is her brother’s apartment she decides to call him to take care of the situation but Corbin is at work and he calls his neighbor Miles to help her deal with the problem. Unfortunately for the three of them, it turns out that the guy passed out against her soon to become apartment is no one else but Miles Archer, the guy who was supposed to help her.

I can totally understand why people rave about ugly Love. The story is told by both Tate and Miles and although it’s narrated in the present, every few chapters we get a glimpse of Miles’s past.

In the present, Tate Collins is a student in her early twenties who just moved into a new city to study for her postgraduate degree and find a job. Luckily for her, the city has more to offer that a degree and a job.

Miles is a young pilot who also happens to be one of Corbin’s best friends and live not only at the same building but at the same floor as well. From the moment Miles and Tate meet they know there’s something between them but Miles isn’t interested in having a relationship let alone falling in love. If Tate wants him she will have to take him as he is or nothing at all.

What’s really painful about this book is that Miles was actually a pretty decent guy in the past. At 18 he fell in love. Not the kind of love you expect an 18 year old to have but the kind that lasts forever. Once upon a time Miles wanted that love, his HEA but an accident changed everything, including Miles. Six years later, Miles is just a shell of himself: refusing to feel, to have a real relationship, to enjoy life. His friends with benefits agreement with Tate may sound simple but as time passes feelings get in the way and everything gets complicated.

I never expected to read something like this. I though Miles was just burned by love but that’s not it. It’s something that you will never see coming.

Ugly Love was a realistic, temporary, emotional romance book about second chances, strong spirits and healing hearts.

I really can’t wait for the movie.

Totally recommended!
Sofia T.
Blog Widget by LinkWithin

1 comment:

  1. I am so going to be reading this one soon and I hope it will be my first Colleen Hoover book! I just love the sound of it and everyone seems to have enjoyed it so much. I know it is going to be become a movie in time as well, which means I need to read it before I can watch it as well.

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © 2012 SheReadsRomance
Template by Hopeless Romantics
Subtle Patterns (Subtle Patterns) / CC BY-SA 3.0